Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Too many things happening lately.

Somehow I still vividly recall that day approximately 2 years ago. I wanted to type a FB note on it to share my pride about the spirit we had, the support and the thundering cheers I witnessed at SBC. But I dismissed that idea because I was still packing for OBS. Lousy excuse yes. But I was just feeling slightly saddened that what we had 2 years ago has apparently diminished to naught today.

I know that being a part of DHSBBALL will make me biased towards my cca. And I agree that yes, the progress of the basketball team is extensively publicized in the school, be it by Mr Low, or now by Zhi Ming. Some might feel that it's unfair to their own ccas and I honestly can understand. So I will not be targeting only basketball.

I personally feel that we do have the capability to spread our spirit beyond the school grounds. Coming into Senior High made me feel strongly spirited with my house. But Senior High, it's honestly not just something as superficial as Bennu vs Drakon vs Homa vs Kirin. Sure, house spirit matters a darn lot. It helps to bring together groups of people, from different classes, taking different combinations. It really brings people closer, I say hi to many people I dont even know before SH now.

But honestly, this spirit can be further extended. If we have such great internal spirit, why not display it for the admiration of others? Why not make good use of it to intimidate formidable opponents at sports games? (I'm not saying about the Performing Arts here because it's quite ridiculous to cheer continuously at performances) I just feel very disheartened at the 'crowd' that we have at games. I just want to say that not only semi-finals or finals are important. These games are obviously important as to determine the placings. But how about the games that led to all these? The sweat and tears and blood that were shed during trainings, friendly matches and the first few rounds? The importance of these games are extremely undermined by the general majority. I'm not saying that we should stop all lessons the moment theres a sports game and send 20 buses of students to the competition ground. But I just wish that something can be done about how pathetic we look during competitions. Every other school has at least 10-20 supporters. Ours? Zero at times. Why is it that other schools can do it but not us?

No that was not a genuine question because I know the answer. It's because we are too academically driven. We are pushed to only care about that particular grade that appears on our result slips. To ace the A levels. Any other thing is of secondary importance. What happened to "We aim to educate students for the future and have identified a set of holistic outcomes"? People need to wake up. If pursuing of other aspects of life is deemed as a wrong decision, then I think that we are becoming nothing but workaholics. Sure you may argue that we are giving many opportunities to grow in other aspects but we are the ones not grabbing the opportunities. Then may I argue that most of the times these so-called opportunities feels more like prestige instead? It's only offered to the best of the best, the cream of the crop. So what exactly is the message being sent out? Maybe you feel that this is my personal view but I think I pretty much speak for the majority, at least those of my level. We often do not get access to the opportunities that are glamourized and can only watch while those of supposed higher ability (in mugging) get their hands on numerous opportunities and get to pick and choose, and only those more unwanted ones fall to people like me.

If you think I am being sour about all these, I am not. It's more of me feeling strongly that we can be so much more than we are now. And I honestly do not want to leave this school with nothing but a good image because of the school's good name. I want to leave and feel proud of the school. Feel proud that I was from this school, not because of it's good name but because of the way I've grown here and the colourful experiences I've had and the spirit I can confidently call home. But honestly as of now, I feel regretful that I probably wont get the chance to feel this way. It's not that I haven't grown as a person, but it's quite shameful to say that place I've grown most is actually on the basketball court. Where values of perseverance, determination, tolerance, teamwork, etc. are instilled deep into my heart. I'm not saying that there are no inspirational teachers. I am actually very lucky to have met quite a few teachers who are so passionate about what they do, it makes me question my ability to be this passionate my job in the future.  But that can wait.

Now all I want to say is, even if I dont get to enjoy that luxury. I sincerely wish that future batches can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment